What’s better than a thick, juicy burger fresh off a charcoal grill? Families all over will be grilling out this weekend for the Memorial Day holiday and Elias Iglesias, executive chef of Morton’s, The Steakhouse, shares one of his delicious burger recipes and tips for grilling on a charcoal grill.
How to Grill the Perfect Burger
(makes 8 ounce grilled burgers)
2 pounds ground sirloin
1⁄2 cup tomato juice (keeps juicy)
One egg (holds meat together)
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Watch and learn:
To get the most flavor out of his steak burger recipes, Chef Elias recommends using a charcoal grill.
- Combine all ingredients.
- Shape mixture into four half pound (8 ounce) steak burgers.
- Score top in checkerboard pattern
- Place steak burgers on very hot gas grill (500-600 degrees).
- Cover grill to cook evenly and sear in juices. Flip burgers with spatula half way through the cook time, depending on your preferred doneness. (Medium rare: 8 minutes total. Flip at 4. Medium: 10-12 minute total. Flip at 5-6.) Resist the urge to press the burger down. This will only release juices and diminish flavor.
- Close lid again and cook for the remaining 4-6 minutes.
- Use the “hand trick” to tell doneness of your steak burgers.
- Medium rare: burgers should feel like the base of your thumb — spongy with a little bit of give.
- Medium: burgers should feel like the middle of your palm — firmer.
Happy Memorial Day Weekend!
Courtesy of Howdini.com