This holiday season, the answer to the question “Ever wonder what your pets do when you’re not home?” is answered in The Secret Life of Pets now on Digital HD, 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ 3D, Blu-ray™, DVD and On Demand from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. The humans behind the Despicable Me franchise present America’s top-grossing original film of the year, the animated comedy is a worldwide hit with over $834 million in global ticket sales. The Secret Life of Pets is “non-stop action and laughs,” says Peter Travers of Rolling Stone. The 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™, DVD and Digital HD versions feature nearly an hour of bonus content, including three hilarious mini-movies: the all-new Norman Television and Weenie PLUS Mower Minions which debuted in theaters and is now available to own.
Let me take a few steps back here. We don’t have any pets, much to my 10 year old daughter’s sadness. She is the animal lover of the family and has always wished and prayed for a kitty or puppy to be running around the house with her. Having a brother 5 years older and a sister at college, I know she’s super lonely at home and could use a playmate. But, the reality is that we are all allergic (she tends to be as well when visiting pet-friendly homes). It’s unfortunate, but combined with our busy schedules let alone traveling, we cannot give a pet the proper attention right now. So you can believe that there were tons of AWWs and OHMYGOSHHOWCUTECANWEPLEASEGETONE comments throughout our watching the movie, I’m admitting it too. Read more about the movie and how cute it would make a great gift or stocking stuffer this holiday season!
The Secret Life of Pets, a comedy about the lives our pets lead when we leave for work or school. Max, voiced by Louis C.K., is a loyal terrier living a perfectly happy existence until his owner, Katie (Ellie Kemper) brings home Duke (Eric Stonestreet) a big, boisterous mutt she finds at the shelter. When Max and his unruly new “roommate” slip away from their dog-walker, they find themselves lost in the urban jungle of New York City. In an attempt to stay ahead of animal control and a rebel band of abandoned pets led by an unhinged bunny named Snowball (Kevin Hart), they put aside their differences to survive the epic journey back home.
This makes me laugh a little, it’s like when a mom of an only child brings home #2 from the hospital. In our case my daughter had it made, my colicky son came along and it was all very different. Anyway, the movie is hilarious with the amazing ability of animators to give so much human emotion plus animal antics to the characters and I found myself giggling throughout the movie! The adults and older kids enjoy trying to recognize the voices in the cast without looking them up. The brilliant actors we’ve watched in movies and TV like Modern Family, Ride Along, the Office, Wayne’s World, SNL, and more make the movie relateable to adults!
When I asked my 10 year old to let me know how she felt about the movie, this is what she said…
My favorite character was Max because he was adventurous and always made me laugh, he was so funny. I like Leonard too because he was a rocker, that was unexpected! When he was in the sewers with all the discarded animals and scary bunny, that was my favorite part! Of course the cute cuddly bunny was the bad guy, in opposite world! Our neighbor had bunnies so I think of them. I like the mini movie, when they went to Weiner Land. My mom liked Norman Television. I hope this helped my mom realize we should get a pet!
The movie was adorable and one that I’d watch again, and I don’t tend to do that anymore with the kids like when they were younger!
4K ULTRA HD™
The film will be available on 4K Ultra HD™ in a combo pack which includes 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray™ and Digital HD with UltraViolet. The 4K Ultra HD™ will include all bonus features on the Blu-ray™ disc.
- 4K Ultra HD™ is the ultimate movie watching experience. 4K Ultra HDTM features the combination of 4K resolution for four times sharper picture than HD, the color brilliance of High Dynamic Range (HDR) with immersive audio delivering a multidimensional sound experience.
- Blu-ray™ unleashes the power of your HDTV and is the best way to watch movies at home, featuring 6X the picture resolution of DVD, exclusive extras and theater-quality surround sound.
- DIGITAL HD with UltraViolet™ lets fans watch movies anywhere on their favorite devices. Users can instantly stream or download.
BLU-RAY™ EXCLUSIVES (Available on Blu-ray™ editions)
- How to Make an Animated Film – A behind-the-scenes look at how to make an animated film from the various departments that make up Illumination.
- Anatomy of a Scene – Filmmakers and animators take us through the multi-step process it takes to create a specific scene in the Secret Life of Pets
BLU-RAY™ AND DVD BONUS FEATURES
- Norman Television
- Mower Minions
- All About The Pets – Kevin Hart and Eric Stonestreet, with the help of animal trainer Molly Mignon O’Neill take you on an educational journey to learn more about your average and not-so average, household pets.
- Animals Can Talk: Meet The Actors – The comedy superstars who give voice to the film’s menagerie of characters talk about their roles and the process of bringing them to life.
- Hairstylist To The Dogs – Inspired by “Hairspray Live!,” Eric Stonestreet, with the help of a professional dog groomer Jess Rona, will take you through the basic steps to help your pups look as awesome as possible when they’re hanging out with their pet pals.
- The Best Of Snowball – A rapid-fire, fun and oddly musical mash-up of all the best Snowball one-liners
- Hot Dog Sing-Along – Join Max and Duke as they perform for their dinner in the sausage factory. This straightforward sing along is fun for the whole family to enjoy.
- Sing Trailer
- “Lovely Day” Lyric Video
- The Humans that Brought You Pets – Producers Chris Meledandri and Janet Healy, directors Chris Renaud and Yarrow Cheney, and writer Brian Lynch discuss what went into creating The Secret Life of Pet’s compelling characters and non-stop action.
- GoPro®: The Secret Life of Pets
- The Making of the Mini-Movies – A fun and interesting take on the Making of the Mini-Movies – we’ll explore the themes of each of the mini-movies through the eyes of the artists who made them.
Copy was sent for review, all opinions our own.