Since their introduction in the 1970s, the majority of smoke alarms have relied on 9-volt or “AA” batteries for power. Recently, “long-life” smoke alarms which provide continuous protection for a decade have come onto the market, and national fire experts like the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommend their use.
Did you know that these long-life alarms will soon be the only type of battery-powered alarms available at stores in California? Due to a new law, California consumers will begin to see smoke alarms powered by alkaline batteries disappear from store shelves.
Already this year, media have reported 71 residential fire deaths in California. To help keep families safer, the new law took effect on July 1, requiring any battery-powered smoke or combination (smoke and carbon monoxide) alarm approved for sale by the Office of the California State Fire Marshal be powered by a sealed, 10-year battery. By this time next year, all alarms on store shelves must be powered by sealed, 10-year batteries. This law also will hopefully decrease the likelihood that a firefighter would be injured or killed trying to save a life.
In addition to possibly saving a life, alarms like the Kidde Worry-Free line save consumers about $40 in battery costs over the life of one alarm – and remove the burden of remembering to change batteries every six months!
Benefits of Worry Free Smoke Alarms
• It’s Always On: 24 hr/day, 7 day/week protection from smoke and fire
• Decade of protection: sealed lithium battery provides 10 years of continuous power
• Maintenance-free, hassle-free: never replace a battery during the alarm’s operating life and no need to worry about the batteries being removed
• Goodbye late night low battery chirps: an end-of-life chirp tells you when it’s time to replace the alarm
• Location-based attributes make it simple to select the right alarm for the right location in your home
• Money savings: no batteries to buy and replace every six months, save up to $40 over the life of the alarm
• Quick and easy installation: simply twist the alarm onto the mounting bracket and it activates
Overall Product Line Features
• UL Listed
• 85 decibel alarm
• Only UL-listed alarms to contain a photoelectric smoke sensor that is programmed to reduce nuisance alarms
• Only smoke alarms with SEALED long-life lithium battery to prevent tampering or removal; operate 24 hours per day, seven days per week for a decade
• Test-Reset Button tests the alarm circuitry and horn. Resets memory after alarm has sounded.
• End-of-life signal chirps every 30-45 seconds when alarm needs replaced
• Deactivation switch disables the alarm and makes the batteries safe for disposal once the unit has reached the end of its 10-year life. Tamper resistant feature prohibits a disabled alarm from being placed back onto the mounting bracket.
• 10-Year Limited Warranty
Ten-year sealed-battery smoke alarms, such as Kidde’s Worry-Free line, are available at home improvement retailers and cost between $25 and $50. For more information, visit worryfreealarm.com.